Emir’s official seal
Calendar of Events
- Commander of the Faithful being translated into Arabic. Ready for publication Fall 2014.Thank you US State Department
- Kiser will talk in June on the subject: Abdelkader For Today at the Aurassi Hotel in Algiers on the occasion of International Trade Fair hosted by the Algerian government
- Marine Corps Scholarship Foundation has established a funded Abdelkader Scholarship
- Grinnell College, Grinnell, Iowa: A Muslim Saint in Iowa: Interreligious Dialogue and the Legacy of the Emir Abd el-Kader commemorates the United Nations International Day of Peace on September 21, 2014 as reflected in the life of the Emir Abd el-Kader (1808-1883). An exemplary Muslim, a celebrated military hero of Algeria in opposing French colonization, and an international peacemaker (savior of 12,000 Christians in Damascus), the Emir Abd el-Kader was hailed as "one of the few great men of the century" (NY Times).
- On Sept 21 (Sunday), the feature film Of Gods and Men (2010 Grand Prize at Cannes, French/Arabic, English subtitles) will be shown at the Strand theatre, with an introduction by John Kiser, author of The Monks of Tibhirine (book used as source for the film), followed by a Q/A.
- On Sept 22 (Monday) at 7:30 p.m. in the Rosenfield Center (Room 101), author John Kiser and Jan Gross (French/Arabic) will discuss the past and present significance of the Emir Abdelkader and his relationship to Iowa, Islam, and Algeria.
- On Sept 23 (Tues) at 4:15 p.m. in the Rosenfield Center (Room 101), a panel featuring Professors Harold Kasimow and Gisela Webb, Rashed Chowdhury '03, Katie Chowdhury '05, and John Kiser will discuss examples of enduring voices of interreligious dialogue in action from Jewish, Christian, and Muslim perspectives.
- Harvard's Pluralism Project together with Merrimack College will be launching at next November's annual meeting of American Academy of Religion's an ethical courage case study based on the life of Emir Abdelkader.